Sage Monkey

Sage Monkey

Saturday, November 5, 2011

North Dakota Hunting Trip with Schulhaus Kennel


Matt Smith with Nobelles Blues De Bertha SH - Call name Jazz
This picture was taken when she completed her AKC Senior Hunt Title

Jazz (pictured above) is Cleo's sister and littermate. She is owned by Matt Smith of Schulhaus Kennel in Woodstock, Virginia. A couple of days ago on facebook I saw Matt had posted some pictures from his recent hunting trip in North Dakota. I asked him if he would be willing to share a little bit about himself, his dogs and his trip with me so I could pass it along in a blog post. I was elated when he agreed. Below are some pictures from his trip and little about his life hunting GSP's.

Belle & Aldo with two sharptails

"My name is Matt Smith and I have owned and hunted German Shorthaired Pointers since 1994. I became involved with NAVHDA in 2004 with the purchase of Nobelles Schulhaus Belle. It was a requirement of the breeder Bob Corsaro of Nobelles Kennel, that I test Belle in a NAVHDA Natural Ability Test. It was there that I was introduced to this great organization and became a member of the Potamac NAVHDA Chapter. I was so excited after attending the first Potomac Chapters training day to meet so many people with the same interest and passion for GSP's and upland hunting as me. Through NAVHDA I became a better trainer and my dog's better hunters and companions.

Jazz, Aldo, Moon and Belle after their first stop in North Dakota

I bred Belle in 2008 and started Schulhaus Kennel. Our first litter was a home run and received a NAVHDA Natural Ability Breeder's Award. Out of this breeding we kept a male named Aldo. He has turned out to be our all time favorite GSP. My friends and I have been doing at least one hunting trip out of state for the last 12 years. I look forward to these trips all year long. This year I spent two weeks in North Dakota. This was our 6th year in a row to North Dakota. 

Moon backing Jazz, Cajun and Belle with friend Wade going in for the shot


North Dakota by far is our favorite destination. The state is made for bird dogs. We love it so much for its remote open spaces, public access, the variety of bird and most importantly the cover allows you to constantly see the dogs hunting work. We hunt pheasant, sharptail, grouse, hungarian partridge and a huge variety of water fowl in North Dakota.

Jazz pointing a covey of sharptail grouse

Belle, Jazz, Aldo and Moon on point with friend Wade Dellinger going in for the shot. This is Moon's first hunt in North Dakota. She is 5 months old.

I currently own 4 dogs and took them all to North Dakota this year; Belle (7), Aldo (3), Jazz (2) and Moon (5 months old). I was also excited to take 3 generations, Belle (Moon's grandmother) and Aldo (Moon's father). My friend Wade Dellinger also took Cajun (Moon's grandfather) and Blaze (Moon's Mother). I was unsure of taking Moon on such a big trip at such an early age. However, my fears were put to rest 2 minutes into our first hunt when she and Jazz went on point over a rooster which I shot.

Moon after her first day in North Dakota

 I was also impressed with how well she traveled. She rode in the back seat of the truck rather than the back with the older dogs. I wanted to be able to hear her if she started to whine and needed out. The trip out and back she never made a sound. 

Jazz backing Moon who was backing Belle

A heartbreaker of a tombstone

The main hazards for the dogs in North Dakota are barbed wire fence, porcupines, and skunks. Be sure your first aid kit is stocked for these encounters.

Mike pushing a North Dakota tumbleweed out of the road 


Moon and Jazz with a limit of pheasants

Matt, Aldo, Belle, Jazz and Mike on their last day in North Dakota


We had great weather and a great time on our North Dakota hunting trip and I am already thinking about next year. I encourage GSP owners to pick a destination and plan a hunting trip to experience your dog(s) doing what they were bred to do. "

Moon & Matt, Cajun & Wade, Eden & Bobby Boyce, Jazz & Mike

I can say personally its a dream of mine and Jim's to get Cleo out to the midwest on a hunt like this. We really had hoped to go this year but decided to selfishly run off and spend 10 days hiking through Canyonlands, Arches, and  Mesa Verde National Park instead. Hopefully next year we will get to experience some of the things Matt got to do this year with his pack of GSP's. I'd also like to say that Moon is quite the cutie! By now we all know I'm partial to those black and roan GSP's. And I love the fact that she's still pint size. Makes me that much more excited for when get our second Nobelles GSP in the next couple of months. I also want to thank Matt for taking the time to share his story and hunt with me. Check out his website here for additional info and pictures. And stayed tuned....hopefully I'll get some pics of Cleo and her sister Jazz this coming spring while Jazz finishes off her Master AKC title and Cleo her Seniors.  

To read about Cleo and Jazz's sister Kona click here.






No comments:

Post a Comment