Sage Monkey

Sage Monkey

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bison Burger Dog Treats

It's been awhile since I posted one of Cleo's favorite dog treat recipes so I thought I would throw one out there for you guys. If you have ever read any of my earlier dog treat rants you would know that I believe in making homemade dog treats for Cleo because they are healthier for her and I never have to worry about recalls ect. Besides, Jim and I are health freaks and if I won't eat it I won't feed it to my dog. That's not in anyway implying I eat dog food...because I don't. But I will say that I have in fact eaten one of these treats and they are super yummy...so lets just pretend I didn't admit that.

Bison Burger Dog Treats

What you need:
~1 lb of ground bison meat, cooked and strained of fat
~1 1/2 Cups of grated cheddar cheese (I prefer cracker barrel aged reserve mainly because I can steal slices of it while I grate it....clearly I'm not a role model...moving on)
~6 Slices of turkey bacon, fried, patted dry and crumbled
~2 Cups whole wheat flour
~2 Eggs
~1/4 Cup of water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixer combine the whole wheat flour, eggs and water. Beat until combined. Add in the cooked ground bison, grated cheese and crumbled turkey bacon. Mix until a sticky dough forms.
2. Roll out the dough on some parchment paper and cut small burger patties out with a round biscuit cutter. Place the patties on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Then flip the burgers and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Place the patties on a cooling rack and store in the fridge when cool.
These little patties hit the spot and make for a happy spotted doggie. Somehow Cleo always knows when I am baking for her because she circles the kitchen like a shark in shallow water. Okay maybe that was a poor analogy but you got my point. Hope your doggies like em!

Be sure to find us and like us on facebook: Adventures of a German Shorthaired Pointer

No comments:

Post a Comment